Monday, March 7, 2011

Honestly

11" X 14" oil on panel

When I was in school studying figure drawing and portraiture, we used to have to draw our model's head as a portrait at the same time and on the same paper as a skull.  It was a wonderful exercise to be able to see the the skull with it's bony protrusions that form the head at the same time you are drawing a portrait.  This painting project felt very similar in a way.
In this the latest of the Daily Paintworks Challenge, we had 4 options on how to paint Mr. Lincoln.  I chose the option to paint in black and white, and a second in full color.  Trying to translate a black and white photo to a color painting was a study in values to be sure...but honestly, another fun one.  Thank you Justin Clayton and DPW!

16 comments:

  1. Dana .....I truly feel you can do no wrong..superb on all accounts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are both great, I can't decide which I like best. Very well done!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Deux très belles interprétations... celle en noir et blanc apporte une profondeur du regard plus accentué, plus énigmatique...
    très joli travail.
    Gros bisous

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well done, Dana! Your Flower paintings are beautiful as well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You're amazing... and so are your Lincolns!

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are so great, Dana! The likeness is very very good! I did mine today, and it was tough!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You. Did. A. Fantastic. JOB!!!!
    Masterful, Dana, really!

    ReplyDelete
  8. So nice Dana. You were brave to do two. I eeked out one. Your style is so beautiful on both of these. Think your black and white is my fav.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your study in portraiture really shows in these two paintings. I love both and happy to see you got his eye color right, not blue or brown but gray. Great job Dana!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Way to challenge yourself on this one! I love them both - he is looking very HONEST!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I really like how you did this and your explanation says a lot...I feel like I really fussed way too much with mine and it shows...I "lost" the face in messing around...it is all a journey

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is truly a great answer to the challenge, Dana. You did black and white AND the color also...Wow!
    I ran out of steam after the black and white. Lol.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow! Two of them and both just fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  14. It looks like you pulled it off.. the b&w to color translation

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment, I appreciate each and every one of them!